Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Swimming lessons (week 3)

We enrolled Hagen in swimming lessons at the Natatorium in Allen. This was our third week (the sessions are four weeks long). The first lesson the kids were taught was how to blow bubbles in the water. I'm trying to get him to just use his lips because he'll stick out his tongue while he blows. After that they taught the kids how to kick, then to "scoop" with their arms. Hagen does pretty good with those things. I had been teaching him how to kick so he was pretty good at that and he does the "scooping" really well, too. Last week they showed the kids how to pull themselves out of the pool, then last night we were supposed to dunk them briefly underwater. He did fine the first time but didn't like it after that. The instructor told us to blow in our child's face then quickly dunk him, but Hagen would giggle when I did that so it wasn't really working for him. We'll find another way to do that. I think he holds his breath when we go to our community pool because he jumps in by himself (with floaties on) and goes underwater and isn't coughing or anything when he comes up, so I think he does know how to hold his breath.









Here's a video of him swimming. I'm really proud of him. :-)

2 comments:

Patsy said...

I love the pictures and the video. That was wonderful! Sigh: I miss my grandchildren. I'll have to drop in on you blog more often.

Stephanie said...

Thanks for dropping by, Patsy! I check yours out every so often, too. :-)